PLANO, Texas (Jan. 11, 2013) – Learfield Sports congratulates nine individuals on receiving the best in the state award for 2012 by the National Sportscasters and Sportswriters Association (NSSA). They will be formally honored during the 54th Annual NSSA Awards Weekend in Salisbury, N.C., June 8-10, 2013. A total of 106 winners will be recognized throughout the country for excellence in sportscasting or sportswriting in their respective home state. Also attending the NSSA June event will be National Sportscaster of the Year Dan Patrick and National Sportswriter of the Year Peter King. Additionally, Dick Vitale and Mitch Albom will be inducted into the NSSA Hall of Fame.
The following broadcasters represent Learfield Sports, as well as their respective state and university, a Learfield partner. Four individuals are first-time award recipients.
- Idaho – Bob Behler (Boise State University, play-by-play) (3rd time winner)
- Indiana – Don Fischer (Indiana University, play-by-play) (23rd time)
- Kansas – Matt Walters (K-State, pre/post fill-in color) (1st time winner)
- Maine – Rich Kimball (University of Maine, play-by-play football) (5th time winner)
- Missouri – Mike Kelly (University of Missouri, play-by-play) (1st time winner)
- Montana – Mick Holien (University of Montana, play-by-play) (13th time winner)
- New Hampshire – Bob Lipman (University of New Hampshire, play-by-play) (3rd time winner)
- New Mexico – Scott Galetti (University of New Mexico, play-by-play) (1st time winner)
- South Dakota – Tyler Merriam (South Dakota State University, play-by-play) (1st time winner)
Learfield Sports manages the athletic multimedia rights for more than 50 collegiate programs and associations. It also titles the acclaimed Learfield Sports Directors’ Cup with award co-founders NACDA and USA Today. For additional information about the NSSA Award Weekend and complete listing of other winners, visit www.nssafame.com and for more about Learfield Sports, visit www.learfieldsports.com.