Students honored by Penn State Athletics’ corporate partner Dietz & Watson
Recognizing outstanding college students for their dual commitment to not only succeed in the classroom but serve their community is exactly what Philadelphia-based Dietz & Watson was looking for in the seven Penn State students recently honored. Dietz & Watson backed this new initiative to boost awareness for charitable contributions and promote student excellence.
Seven Dietz & Watson Campus Spirit Scholar award winners were announced during the Nittany Lions’ football match up against the Wisconsin Badgers on Nov. 24. All Penn State students attending the more than 20 campuses throughout Pennsylvania were eligible to win the $500 scholarship and another $500 to donate to a Penn State non-profit campus charity of their choice. A student was selected each week during seven weeks of the 2012-13 football season for their outstanding work in the classroom and in the community.
“As a new corporate partner and preferred in-stadium hot dog served for Nittany Lions’ fans, we wanted to step up and do something that was meaningful, that really mattered,” said Louis Eni, president and CEO of Dietz & Watson, a family owned business recognized as one of the largest preparers of premium deli meats and artisan cheeses for more than 70 years. “We’re proud to stamp our name on the new Campus Spirit Scholar award knowing we are helping young people of today reach their goals and ensuring charitible orgazinations receive valuable funding.”
Following are the seven Dietz & Watson Campus Spirit Scholar award winners recognized during halftime of the Penn State-Wisconsin game, along with their selected charity that will receive $500 on behalf of Dietz & Watson:
- Bridget Lavelle, University Park Campus; Nursing major from Hershey, Penn. Bridget supports THON- Hershey Kisses for the Kids
- Sara Calaman, University Park Campus; Food Science major from Newville, Penn. Sara supports Agriculture in the Classroom
- Tony Schneider, Penn State DuBois Campus; Materials Engineering major from Brockport, Penn. Tony supports the Veterans Special Needs Endowed Scholarship Fund.
- David Cantoran, Penn State Wilkes-Barre Campus; Engineering major from Brooklyn, NY. David supports Rainn
- Sara Castronuova, University Park Campus; English major from Browns Mills, N.J. Sara supports Kay Yow Cancer Fund
- Hillary Yarger, University Park Campus; Community, Environment, & Development major from Brisbin, Penn. Hillary supports Service Above Self
- Lauren Richards, Penn State New Kensington Campus; Sciences & Technology major from Penn Hills, Penn. Lauren supports THON-New Kensington
“Dietz & Watson is a first-rate company with strong values and business objectives,” said John Tull, manager of business development for Penn State Sports Properties, which secured the Dietz & Watson partnership on behalf of Penn State Athletics. “We’re honored to have them as a corporate partner and pleased to see them initiate this Campus Spirit Scholar award that will benefit so many.”
Dietz & Watson was founded in 1939 by Gottlieb Dietz, a talented young German sausage maker. His primary goal was to produce the most flavorful, highest-quality deli meats in the marketplace to please even the most discriminating palate. His old-world recipes and commitment to “quality above all else” demanded nothing less than the freshest lean grain-fed Midwest beef, Canadian pork, turkey breast and chicken breast enhanced with fresh, all-natural spices and seasonings. Dietz & Watson never uses artificial flavors, colors, fillers, extenders or MSG.
Penn State Sports Properties (PSSP) is the exclusive multimedia rights holder for Penn State Athletics. PSSP is a property of Learfield Sports, which manages the multimedia rights for more than 50 collegiate institutions, conferences and associations including seven other members of the Big Ten Conference – Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota, Northwestern, Purdue and Wisconsin. Aside from the campus-level rights relationships Learfield Sports has with these schools, the company also manages the sponsorship rights of the Big Ten Conference and develops its corporate partnerships. The company titles the acclaimed Learfield Sports Directors’ Cup as well. To learn more about its 40-year history and comprehensive collegiate portfolio, visit learfieldsports.com.